Sunday, August 30, 2009

First Week of School

Chris and I made it through the first week of school ... barely. It was rough, at least for me, and after all of these years of teaching the first week has never gotten that much easier. I have taught for seven years -- and if you have ever taught, then I bet you can relate. Basically, it is trying to learn names (and this year for me I have 47 kids (2 classes)), learn what your kids will be like, getting into a routine, going over rules again and again, and saying the same things so many times, you start to sound like a broken record. You even start to wonder, "are these kids gonna catch on?" And then you start to miss some of the kids you had from last year, who of course by the end of the year did get it! So, each and every year has its new challenges, and getting back into the swing of things all takes time and patience, so I am working on it. 

Chris had a pretty easy first week because he has a new job at his school. He is the math and science instructional support teacher, so he does not have an actual class this year. He will be pulling kids to tutor and helping the teachers at his school, but for the first week he just helped out where and when it was needed. He's really enjoying it.

I took a few shots of my classroom, because I realized not many people have had a chance to see my room. I am in a portable, and I have only taught in the main building of our school once. I like the portables because you can control your own air! In the main building, the school district controls the air so it is either freezing or way too hot. That is one perk of being in a portable.
  
 IMG_1689

IMG_1692

IMG_1690

IMG_1694

Got to have those helping hands! Kids LOVE helping the teacher. Some of my jobs for them if you can't see are, "Errand Angel", "Line Leader", "Hand-Out Hero", "Door Dude"-you get the point...

IMG_1693 

IMG_1691

My great bookshelf, that is now even better because Chris gave me a whole bunch of chapter books he was not going to use this year. 

And last but not least ... our lil' miss Coco. She had a rough week because she missed us so much. Every morning we would try and say goodbye to her and she wouldn't even look at us. BUT when we got home she was SO excited to see us! To make her feel better I gave her this Hawaiian lei to chew up. I got it at a new nail place in town I tried out called Hawaiian nails - ha! But I told her that while she was chewing it up she can be dreaming of the day when Chris and I can retire and we will all move to Hawaii to live happily ever after. Hopefully that will help her not to be sad while we are gone. She seemed to like the idea.      

IMG_1687 

IMG_1685 

Now if only we can all get through week two...

Love,

Chris, Carrie, and Coco



6 Comments:

Anonymous Kathy said...

I love your room Carrie it is so bright and cheerfull! I can't imagine trying to remember all those names. I have trouble with just a few. Poor Coco I know she misses ya'll.

August 30, 2009 at 6:39 AM  
Anonymous Robin said...

who knew benjamin and coco would have so much in common? missing mom and dad is rough!
your room does look good...so sad that i'm seeing it here first! :)
here's to week two. see you in the a.m.

August 30, 2009 at 7:04 AM  
Anonymous Judy said...

Carrie, your room looks so neat and organized! That is one thing I DO miss about teaching....I loved setting up my room! It was just the second day I wasn't too fond of.......har har!!
Coco probably misses her parents a lot but I guess she will get use to it!
I love the pictures....you've done a great job!

August 30, 2009 at 7:55 AM  
Anonymous Shannon said...

I enjoyed seeing your classroom, Carrie! It is friendly and so welcoming!!
My girls and I went into their school last week to help a teacher get her room ready. It was exhausting. She had us scrubbing, sweeping, hanging up posters, arranging desks and chairs, delivering textbooks to all the other lower school teachers, etc. We are attached to this first grade teacher since she instructed my older daughter last year and will now have my younger daughter in 1st grade this year. This is our teacher's last year before retiring--41 years of teaching! She is a remarkable woman! We are blessed to have her twice!! She cried the entire time we were preparing her room. I made a mental note to send in a copious supply of extra strong Puffs next week with our mandatory supplies list. HA! I think she will be doing A LOT of crying this year. LOL. My girls' teacher adores each child like her own. It is so sweet.
Have a wonderful year!
Shannon

August 30, 2009 at 7:58 AM  
Anonymous Tara G. said...

I loved setting my rooms up in cooperative learning groups! The room looks wonderful! And I remember just having a very hoarse voice the first week because I wasn't used to talking so much over the summer!

September 5, 2009 at 9:33 AM  
Anonymous Elicia said...

Love the pics of Miss Coco! Come see me whenever you want (saw your comment on our blog.) I'm on my own starting this week!

September 7, 2009 at 4:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home