Sunday, August 16, 2009

The End of a Great Summer

Chris and I have been having a wonderful summer and we are for sure sad to see it end. We head back to work tomorrow, not yet with the kids, but for lots of teacher inservice meetings and setting up our classrooms. Good thing we both went up to our schools last week, so we are done with our rooms. Yay! I used to love setting up my room and doing cute bulletin boards, but since I am going into my 7th year of teaching, I try to get in and get out!  Ha!

We also both finished our summer classes for our masters programs. Chris has been doing his for a while, but this was my first class and it was hard! However, we both found out that we made A's so I guess our hard work paid off.  Now I just have 33 hours to go! We will see how it goes while trying to teach at the same time ...  

Here is a kind of a long recap of what other activities we were up to the last few weeks of our summer!   

In our last post Chris wrote about our July 19th wedding anniversary. It was a great 1st anniversary!   The weekend of I was actually at my annual mother daughter trip (more on this in a minute) and so I headed back a day early to be with Chris on the actual day. To celebrate we went to a really nice sushi restaurant that I think started in New York, called Nobu. Chris and I have really been into sushi lately, we even try to make it ourselves occasionally, and this food was sooooo good! Of course, for us it is only a place we can go on very special occasions such as this. We had several courses of Sushi and then when we got dessert, this is what they brought out. I had kind of  mentioned it was our special day. The flower reminded us alot of Maui, where we went on our honeymoon, and we wished we could have gone back there this summer. Maybe soon.

IMG_1662

Before our anniversary, I was at my annual mother daughter trip. This was our 27th year to do the trip with the same moms and daughters. I am the youngest of the girls (28), the other girls are all 30, so we started doing this trip when we were all babies, and have not missed a year since. I could write a book about the history of mother daughter, how it started, tidbits about each and everyone who goes etc, but I will try and keep it short. However, as you can imagine, these moms and daughters are like family to me.  

The people that go on the trip are my mom Chris, and sister Claire, Sherron and her daughter Holly, Val and her daughter Heather, and Charlotte and her daughter Katie.  

IMG_1657

Back Row: Heather, Val, Charlotte

Front Row: Sherron, Claire (my sister), Chris (my mom), Holly, me   

Katie was taking the picture!

We started this trip when we all lived in Corpus Christi, and we would go to the beach for a few days together. When Charlotte and Katie moved away, we started going to Galveston which was closer to them.  Then for a few years we floated the river in the Hill Country, and then for a few years we went to the lake in Austin. For our 25th anniversary we went to Telluride, Colorado, to hike the mountains, and now for the past couple years we have ended up back by the river in Wimberly, Texas. We are a group of mothers and daughters who love going places where there is water. We have gotten lucky in finding places to stay that have plenty of room for us to cook our meals, (every mom and daughter is assigned to different meals/days), and lots of room to spread out to talk and relax. Since this is the only time of the year we get to catch up, we do a lot of talking and a lot of eating!

This year we were back in Wimberly, Texas, to a place called the Seven Star Ranch. It is really just someone's vacation home that they rent out. It is by the river, but it is on several acres of land, so I think that is why they call it a ranch. Here are some pics of the weekend.           

IMG_1647

Heather and Claire


IMG_1646

Katie and Charlotte making dinner. 

IMG_1655

Sherron, Claire, Chris, Holly 

IMG_1651


Candid shot of Sherron and Charlotte chatting. And a little bit of the huge ranch house. 


IMG_1653

This is why we love this house! The kitchen is big and open so we can all stand around and talk with the cooks!   

IMG_1658

A view from the porch. The river is many steps below! 

IMG_1659

Our own pool! 

We had a great time this year, and I think we plan to return to the same house next year. 


Jumping to a few weeks later....Chris and I then took a trip to Corpus Christi, for several events. One was my 10 year high school reunion, and the other was an anniversary present from my parents - tickets to see Willie Nelson, John Mellancamp, and Bob Dylan.  

IMG_1671

Here is a pic from the reunion party. Chris was such a good sport coming with me. I know spouses' reunions can be awkward when you don't know anyone! But we still had a good time and I had fun seeing old friends!       

We didn't get any pics from the concert, because cameras were not allowed, but we had fun at that as well. 

So in all Chris and I had a great summer and I guess we are as ready as we will ever be to head back to work! 

But..... 


IMG_1669


... then again, what is Lil' Miss Coco going to do all day while we are gone?!  With that face I may have to enroll her in Kindergarten so she can come with us! Ha!

Love, Carrie and Chris



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home