Sunday, July 19, 2009

Harper Comes to Town

We had such a great time this week with my family. My mom, dad, Aunt Linda, and sister Kelly all drove down to introduce Harper to her Grandma and Aunt Kathy & family. We had a gathering Monday night at our house and went down to Matt's in Lakewood on Tuesday night. Can't keep the fam away from that Bob Armstrong dip! And of course, the biggest reason everyone made the long trip was to meet COCO. You know it's true.

20090714_FamilyVisit__DSC0381

Coco, dad, Kelly, and Grandma take a break from eating my guacamole.

I've been working for the school district's bilingual department all summer and the ladies there are not shy about bringing in their homemade specialties. It's the greatest. They schooled me on making tortillas and guac. Last week they told me I'm now an honorary Mexican ... but I had to inform them that yo soy Cubano, actually. Either way, viva la raza. Here's the basic guacamole recipe.


Avocado
2 or 3 avacados
top half of a tomato
top half on an onion (white, or my favorite, sweet yellow)
1 or 2 limes
salt & pepper to taste

Once you've skinned and gutted your avacados (hee hee), dice them as small as you can ... don't pulverize. This is the biggest trick. Dice up your tomato & onion. Throw everything in a bowl, mix but keep it chunky. Relieve the juice of one or two limes into the bowl (I like it limey ... I'm a big citrus fan, ask Carrie), top with salt and pepper. Double or triple as you see fit. As chef, keep tasting it to make sure it's palatable. That's it. No sour cream, no weird powders, and don't smash the avacados into baby poo paste. I also like to throw in cilantro, but all of mine burst into flames in this 105 degree weather.

Making your own tortillas is also very satisfying, easy, and light years ahead of anything you can buy at the store, unless you are at Original Ninfa's in Houston. I made one batch with bacon grease, and although it was good, the bacon was overpowering. Currently I'm going with 2 cups all purpose flour, 2 tablespoons of fat (half lard, half butter ... like me), no baking powder, and a teaspoon of salt dissolved in 3/4 cup of warm water. Mix, rest, then roll out thin and slap on a griddle. Eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

20090714_FamilyVisit__DSC0406

Harper is such a great baby! Total opposite of El Coco de Bite Bite.

20090714_FamilyVisit__DSC0416

...

And finally, I'd like to take a moment to wish my beautiful wife a very
HAPPY FIRST ANNIVERSARY!

Chris and Carrie

One year ago today I was a very nervous young (don't say anything) man ... I was worried that morning, waking up alone in a hotel room in Corpus Christi, that everything had been another winding, confusing dream. Fortunately, it wasn't. That evening I got to walk down an aisle and watch the most wonderful, kind, loving, gorgeous, hilarious, and thoughtful (we're working on patient) woman I'd ever met come around the corner, look into my eyes, hold my hand, and actually, willingly agree to be with me forever. 

Since then I've woken up many times confused, but not alone. I love you, and here's to at least another year. Everyone says the first year is the hardest, but we both agree it's been a breeze. Getting Coco to poop outside? Now that's hard. I think the winning formula has been to completely love and trust each other, be open and honest and communicate, and to understand and be flexible with each other's flaws rather than getting annoyed and angry. Every "fight" we've ever had pretty much lasts a few minutes, then ends in somebody making a mocking face and both of us laughing. If there's one thing I've learned from The Real Housewives, other than to never get a spray tan, it's

HAPPY WIFE, HAPPY LIFE


8 Comments:

Anonymous Judy said...

Happy First Anniversary Chris and Carrie!!
When the sun is setting and the years have gone by, may you two be found then as now, standing together, still hand in hand, still thanking God for each other!
We love you! Mom and Dad

July 19, 2009 at 7:17 AM  
Anonymous trish said...

Hello, I would love to know where you found your patio set? I'm a reader of your sis-in-law.:)
Thanks,
Trish

July 19, 2009 at 11:56 PM  
Anonymous Carrie said...

Hi Trish,
We got our set from World Market! Love it there!
-Carrie

July 19, 2009 at 11:58 PM  
Anonymous Lauren Kelly said...

Awww, so sweet! Hope you two had a wonderful anniversary!! :)

July 20, 2009 at 1:35 AM  
Anonymous Rachel said...

Hi Chris and Carrie,
I found your blog through Kelly's, and and I have got to say, y'all are so funny! You constantly have me in stitches! I was going to say, that we have 2 pugs as well, and when they were about the same age as Coco, they were major biters. It sounds crazy, but the only way we could get them to stop was to make a high pitched yelp (a la her litter mates) when they bit us. Now they won't even bite us if we stick our fingers in their mouths. Good luck! Hope it helps!
Rachel

July 20, 2009 at 2:21 AM  
Anonymous Micaela said...

Happy First Anniversary! Glad the family got to get together. I will have to use the guac recipe...LOVE guacamole!! :)

July 25, 2009 at 2:57 PM  
Anonymous claire said...

funny post you guys! love yall and looks like you had a fun family time! can't believe it's been a year! I love the Housewives quote, sums it up so well.

July 28, 2009 at 2:44 AM  
Anonymous Heather said...

I hope that ya'll had a wonderful anniversary. It only gets better!

August 1, 2009 at 5:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home